When I tell many people that we are in the media industry many of them get BIG eyes and ask "Isn't print dead or dying?" I use the response of a very wise man Harry Stagnito and say "BAD Print is dead but print is not dead."
What does that mean?
Well it means a few things.
1. Until you own market share and begin to see a decrease in revenue should you be worried. Worry about eliminating your competition. Be a disruptor.
2. Content is KING. We have seen title's shut down over the past few years and typically it can be traced back to the lack of evolving content for the readers.
Most recently MPA(The Association of Magazine Media) put together a Magazine Media Factbook that renews my faith in the statement made by Harry Stagnito some 3 years ago that print is not dead. Without re-typing all of the findings of the MPA study I will highlight a few items that caught my attention.
1. Several digital first brands launched a print product in 2014/15. Examples would be airbnb, WebMD, Politico, Uber and Angie's List to name a few.
2. 94% of American's under the age of 35 read magazines.
3. Print Magazines still rank #1 in reaching influential consumers.
In short, the facts speak for themselves. We saw one customer grow their print product 36% in 2014 and as a whole our universe grew print 8-11%. That said don't leave behind your bread winner when planning for growth.
I look forward to your feedback and if you want to further discuss feel free to reach out to me via email or phone. Check back in soon for my next post.